Our Philosophy & Purpose
Joy Blossom guides you to connect with nature, so you can grow your health and happiness
Four fundamental benefits
Joy Blossom increases your well-being by helping you boost happiness and joy in your life:
1. It helps you build appreciative, loving awareness of all the wonders in life, which we usually take for granted. A first boost to our mood.
2. It increases this effect by highlighting the forgotten magic contained in our daily routines. Every breath can turn into a full-fledged wonder, when we rekindle our sense of awe at how everything conspires to form an intricate and interconnected whole. These exercises can change the quality of our day.
3. Its exercises reconnect you with nature. As you become more aware of the wonders of the world, you realise that they are all bound up in nature and how nature’s web of life means we are connected with everything else.
4. It increases your well-being. More and more research shows the links between our physical, psychological and spiritual well-being and the healing powers of nature. Communion with nature decreases stress, aggression, attention deficit disorder and depression; and increases the immune system, resilience and well-being, to name but a few benefits.
Four ways in which Joy Blossom differs from other meditation apps
1. Joy Blossom starts by systematically building positive emotions such as gratitude and appreciation, so that we become aware of the good in our lives. This eases the way into mindfulness, as our awareness becomes more open, accepting and caring.
2. Joy Blossom highlights our connectedness to everything. In our world where a sense of isolation, depression and disconnectedness is rampant, becoming aware and appreciating the ways in which we are part of, belong to, and play an important role in the web of life. It gives you access to a whole new way of perceiving, feeling and being, creating a powerful tool to grow overall well-being.
3. Joy Blossom brings appreciation and connection into your daily tasks. By offering exercises that you can do while you are going about your day, you can bring the feeling of joy from your cushion to the kitchen as you cut carrots or do dishes. This makes beneficial behaviours integral to your routines almost automatically.
4. Giving back is built into Joy Blossom. In line with the idea that everything is connected and that what we do has an impact, your practice has a direct effect on the planet, as for every mindful minute you log, money goes to environmental charities.
you can donate to with Joy Blossom
One Tree Planted
One Tree Planted is a non-profit environmental tree planting charity that plants trees in countries around the world.
Trees for the Future
Trees for the Future is dedicated to improving the livelihoods of impoverished farmers by revitalising degraded lands.
Cool Earth works with local people to reduce deforestation and its impact on climate change. It is a network of community-led conservation partnerships.
Eden Reforestation Projects
Eden Reforestation Projects is an international non–profit that is committed to alleviating extreme poverty and restoring healthy forests.
Combining a life-long interest in human growth, well-being, communion with nature and her long-standing meditation practice, Dorothea married her passion and expertise to create Joy Blossom. She started meditating in the Taoist tradition with Mantak Chia as a teenager and deepened her practice in Buddhist and other retreats, courses and talks, learning from teachers such as Sogyal Rinpoche, Jack Kornfield, Tara Brach, Thich Nhat Hanh and the Dalai Lama all over the world. Through her PhD in linguistics and university career she has many years’ experience researching and teaching. While she worked in the areas of digital marketing, communication and PR for enterprises from various industries, she continued her studies in positive psychology and coaching to consolidate her expertise. Seeing that an understanding of ourselves as part of nature was missing from many paths toward greater well-being, in Joy Blossom she integrated meditation and positive emotions with nature connection and environmental awareness.